Friday, July 9, 2010

Organized Chaos

Maybe that’s an optimistic statement, but the actual move date is soon upon us and most details have been completed. I’ve tried to make this as stress free as possible but there is enough tension that I’m staying focused on the final issues. I expect to become more excited once we hit the road and the miles start pulling me home.

During this incremental move, there will be a total of 5 moving professionals involved to help run things smoothly with POD moves, truck loading and unloading and getting Youngest over to her new apartment the day after we land in Austin. I’ve become a Craigslist maven to unload items that won’t fit in the new, teeny, tiny place. The Washer and Dryer go on this weekend for what I hope to be a quick sale. There have been no bites on the full sized mattress set so that may have to go up for free. I wasn’t aware that I was so attached to the piano, but there more than a few tears while that was listed and picked up. It’s the details that are up in the air that drive me nuts. What if no one wants Youngest’s mattress set? You can’t put that on the curb for trash pickup. All proceeds are going towards the cross country travel with Son driving the truck and trailer with me and Knuckles in the car. The combined funds will pay for gas, hotels, food, tolls, etc and if there is any leftover (doubtful), it will go towards a new TV media stand or La-Z-boy.

I have a tight schedule for this weekend, trying to get everything packed by Monday with two major work projects due. On Wednesday, I will be in DC to scatter Beef’s ashes on some of his favorite places and get a few final highlights. My friend Ron has kindly offered to be there and support me while allowing Beef to rest. Then I run home and attempt to tie up any loose ends on Thursday.

To help me acclimate to my new city, I have already signed up to volunteer at the Humane Society. The volunteer class is in early August. It’s a good way to meet people and give back to my new hometown. I won’t be able to adopt for at least a year but this is a good gig in the interim.

The POD arrives at the end of my first week so I won’t get totally settled for a while. The first few days will be moving Youngest, setting up a new bank account, hitting Loews and getting Knuckles on a schedule. I want to paint the sunroom during that week before the table arrives in the POD. The dark color on the walls and ceilings is too dark and depressing. I don’t want to live in a cave. Painting estimates ranged from $950 to $1,500 just for 3 small rooms so it looks like I will be putting my years of HGTV devotion to good use. A good DIY project to look forward to.

Knuckles and his overly sensitive digestive tract went into over drive 2 days ago starting at 1:55 am. We spent the night up until I could get to the vet’s for his usual antibiotics. Yesterday he was pitiful but he’s rip roaring today. Better then than on the day of the move - we’d have to stop every half hour. Phew!

Once I begin exploring Austin, I will start another 30 days of photos. We can all learn more about the city together!

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap those are high estimates for painting! I think we still have some old trays and what-have-you that can defray some costs. You should be able to do three rooms for $300; less if they're all going to be the same color.

    Good luck getting everything in order during your last week before Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for the update! I didn't know you were going to DC to spread some of Beef's ashes - great idea. Who is Ron? I'm with Kevin; it should take less than $300 to DIY paint. We just did our upstairs for $200 and it's a huge room with a staircase included. I'm getting very excited for your move. I hope you have a great safe trip! Love you.

    ReplyDelete