Everyone around here got a treat this weekend when Eldest came to town. We had a whirlwind tour of Hootersville and exposure to our hommies at the big regional fair. Include some down time and she’s off back to the Midwest.
The Fair was more fun than I have allowed myself in years. We were all in agreement that going would be a highlight and it turned out to be just that. As this was a Southern Fair (maybe it’s the same all over), if you can deep fry it, they sold it including Snickers, Oreos (fantasy come true), veggies and the piece de la resistance, fried butter – kid you not. We had lots of local color to view, saw some collection contest winners. My two favorites of the night were going on a heart slamming ride with Eldest where we laughed and screamed. The other event was the pig races which cracked me up. I did get my palm read which followed the normal trend of business success but love, not so much. I’m supposed to be introduced to a new romantic partner in Feb/March of 2010 but I suggest we do not hold our collective breath.
The 3 of us rode a ride that ended up smushing Eldest but with good humor. After an eventful night, we went home and pretty much crashed. The next morning we were off and running once again but with much less flash and dash. We went to a pitiful bake sale at a tiny church in our small town. Not enough there to even make it funny. Eldest got to see the closest thing to civilization here and declared that we do not live in the sticks. Say what? We live were the local papers do not include national news, the fanciest eatery is Olive Garden (new), there is a cow pasture that abuts the subdivision and our favorite delivery pizza company is pick up only.
After a quick tour we traveled to Mayberry for a Farmer’s Market and Craft Fair where I wanted a handcrafted table but the mean old man wouldn’t negotiate so he ended up with no money at all and me with no table. There were multiple buildings chock full of flowers, baked goods, vegetables, fresh meat, sauces, jellies – you name it. The prices were good but off set by the travel required -only the cinnamon buns as big as a small pizza might entice me to return. Mmmm. We returned home in time for the big football game where the girls cheered, I napped and Bama won. We cooked a simple dinner and all agreed to a Sunday morning sleep in.
As I read this I realize that this was not a very exciting weekend but it was just what we needed. I can’t wait to see Eldest again soon at Jellybean’s upcoming baby shower. I miss my family.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had a blast with you two! I loved the fair, too. I am so glad you both got to enjoy fried oreo's. The rides were a blast... I laughed so hard on both! I liked the farmer's market and craft fair, too. Most of all, I enjoyed spending time with you both, regardless of where we were. Next time I won't touch jalapenos. :) Love you!!! Thanks for a great weekend.
ReplyDelete