With so many goals for the next year where a strong financial standing is required (number one goal – new house), I have been putting into practice several frugal behaviors. Another one of my GOALS is Balance, so I’m trying with this new move and change in lifestyle, to also allow myself some pleasures without breaking the bank. I’m looking forward to Hootersville where the cost of living is so much cheaper (housing is 61% less than current location).
· Movies. I quit going to the theaters because the times are inconvenient, the food costs are ridiculous, and it makes me feel lonely. I love movies and especially enjoy them while riding my bike on the trainer. I used to race to purchase new release (hence the boxes and boxes downstairs), but then began to order off cable for $4.99 (only $3.99 in Hootersville). But since discovering the joys of the Red Box Movies at Safeway, I can get a movie for a dollar for 24 hours. There are new releases and classics. This weekend I have watched the new release of “The Day the Earth Stood Still” along with the 1951 original (where the femme fatale was a secretary versus the scientist in the newer version) plus “Rachel Getting Married”.
· Clothes. Going against common wisdom that endorses the “if you haven’t worn it in a year, throw it out” concept, I hold on to my clothes and shoes. Shoes are kept in tissue in the original box. This is smart if you have the space. Example, one particular pair of sandals from 1995, is back in style for the third time now. Still in good condition, I would have had to buy new pairs with increasing cost of goods. Also, my new job requires very casual clothing. My size on top has been the same for several years. Since my former work was the opposite, I have few tops that could transfer over (halters and spaghetti straps are too casual and silk shirts are too formal). I’ve bought a few new cute tops that can pair with the multiple pairs of jeans that I’ve collected over the last decade and a half. Add a few new inexpensive, flat, casual and comfortable shoes and I’m good to go.
· Gym privileges. I quit my local gym some time ago to cut down on costs. Since I’m not competing in triathlons anymore, I don’t have to swim. My office has a full service gym and I have my beautiful bike on the trainer. But with the added responsibilities of setting up a new business while working in a profession where 60 hours/week is the norm, I haven’t had time. I want to get back in training when I move (GOALS Balance and Health), I checked the YMCA Express less than a mile from my (hopefully) new home (Lease not yet signed). The sign-up fee is $30 and the monthly fee is $25. The R-Town Y was over $100+. No pool at the Hootersville Y but my new neighborhood as a pool so if I ever get the inkling, I’ll have one available.
· Coupons. Yes, I have become James-like in embracing grocery coupons but in my defense, with the current economic atmosphere, it’s “In” again. I do draw the line at 2 for one restaurant coupons but mainly because I don’t eat out at restaurants. Each house on the block got a coupon for the most excellent new restaurant called “Flippin’ Pizza”. The coupon is not for a slice, but for a full sized 18” pie, Sunday through Wednesday. While out walking Beef, I saw one in the road and actually picked it up so now we have 2. Tonight Kenzie and I indulge after a day of packing.
This is just a few ideas/actions but they work for me.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment