Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Move is On!

Yesterday was a day of many decisions and all of them where made smartly and in line with the Value system that Kevin and Meagan introduced me to. I’m proud of myself.

Because D has not been in communication during this critical time of business, I feel I need to be down there now to keep things moving. Since this has been in planning since Memorial Day last year, it’s now or never. But just in case that D is wrong about the technology, or has gone off the deep end, I put together a cleantech consulting gig (sole proprietor) and already have 2 verbal acceptance of clients (retainer in the mail tonight) so that there is a reasonable income coming in until the NewCo starts. If it doesn’t, I’ll ramp up the consulting clients and wait out the year in Hootersville before moving to Austin. Not trying to be pessimistic, but realistic and reducing risk.

Instead of buying the house of my dreams, which I could have done but any unexpected financial issue would have left me in a world of hurt, I opted for the boring rental house. The rent is expensive for the area but absolutely a steal by NoVa standards. It has no personality at all, is cheaply built and in a neighborhood where every other house is for sale. But I have enough money to float and with the consulting starting, can make the rent for several months without concern. I want to eliminate the stress that I can while learning to deal better with the stress that I cannot. I will have more money to save and less worry until it strongly flows again. My part time deal on the side has the ability to grow to full time. And if things don’t work out with NewCo, I will not be tied to the area with purchased home. I listened to my head and not my heart. The relief is amazing!

There will be enough money to take classes and other things that fulfill the Adventure/Fun Value without breaking the bank. The local Y Express (no pool – so sad – HA) is $27 to join and $25 membership fee per month. I can’t wait to lift again. And this facility is less than a mile from my new place. There will be enough cash to take Pilates and Bollywood dance classes (the second activity with Youngest). I will need to remain frugal but with the low cost of living down there, it won’t need to be extreme. This is also part of Balance, another Value I have chased for years.
The movers are coming on the 13th and then the stuff arrives there on 15/16. We are making plans about how to move Mac’s car (that was an estimated $900 with long distance mover). If Youngest can recruit a friend to drive and we pay return flight, there will still be enough money left to go towards a washer and dryer. Need to get two air mattresses so we can finagle the move with my return to R-town for the last week of work.

The long distance movers are highly rated. I will pack up most things but will pay for them to do the art and TV’s. I will do the bike myself on a separate trip. The fee is less than I expected but way more than I hoped for. But it is most important that I don’t need to worry and I can afford it.

I’m in such a happy place - feeling more secure with these good decisions while still making the leap that I hope pays off in the long run. To celebrate, I bought the hammock that I have been dreaming of for a while. And to keep with the frugal theme of late, it was on sale for 40% off, no shipping fee and the double size was less expensive than the single size.

I slept like a baby last night . Life is beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. This flurry of posts is awesome to read! Thanks, and keep it up! Glad to hear that thinking about values more explicitly helped you make some big life decisions and still feel happy and balanced. I hope things work out with the company, but on the other hand I won't be disappointed to have you in Austin ahead of schedule - it's truly awesome here.

    ReplyDelete