After a scary rough period, Beef has made an unexpected strong recovery. Not too long ago, walks had degenerated down to an achingly slow creeping along the front lawn. He was in pain, cried for hours each night and could barely walk. Beefer was vomiting often, suffered from acid reflux and sounded hoarse from the throat damage. I was struggling with what my responsibilities to this long-term friend. There was one night in particular that if it was during regular vet office hours, I would have called. We laid together and both cried. But now this. Next time that Bef is not doing well, how will I know if it’s the right time for intervention? Just think – had I opted to put him down last time, it would have been premature. How will I know when it’s for real?
In the meantime, he’s enjoying life as a geriatric, taking our long walks again and hanging near me as if I’m the center of his universe. I know he’s mine.
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment