Saturday, August 29, 2009

Geriatric and Still the Center of my Universe

While Beef is enjoying his life, he is clearly declining. This week he had 3 major falls which I categorize as involving pain, inability to get up without assistance and remaining effects. I’m not going to try to attempt listing the daily falls as he collapses on the floor or trips over the carpet. When Beef has a bad tumble, he falls on his left hip which is his most damaged joint, and then he doesn’t want to put weight on it. Kenzie has suggested giving him shorter walks but I think they are helpful in keeping him as mobile as he continues to be. Beef fell in the gutter full of running water this week and couldn’t get purchase. He was stuck on his back and then rolled and was crying. Another time he fell coming into the front door and was half in and out. Then Beef had what looked like a brief seizure totally freaking me out. When Beef is particularly injured, Silly gives him what aid that she is able. She licks his face; sticks close and lays beside him. She gets worried.

In addition, Beef has one pad that was cut in a fall and he licked all the skin off of it. It looks like a bloody stump.

It’s clear that Beef still finds some enjoyment – wagging his tail at the sight of friends, laying behind me on the days we are here alone, laying in the sun room while I play piano and still enjoys his lifelong favorite treat of bagels (only now mini-low calorie version). But we should all brace ourselves for when belly rubs are no longer requested.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, Beefers. I'm glad he's still loving bagels and wagging his tail. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sad. Dogs are always trying to please their owners... so you can see he's trying. I just hope he feels okay. I love that boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's my girl giving him kisses and watching over him! It breaks my heart to see how concerned she gets. But it's also adorable.

    ReplyDelete