Some CFO’s are cost cutters while others are revenue producers. As my own Financial Officer, I am both.
As for increasing revenue, I am actively seeking new consulting clients. I sent out requests to my network and reminded some of those in the know that I remain most interested in Austin. Instead of energy clients, I have been connected with a couple more life science companies which are where my experience and passion lay. I can feel a greater presence helping as the CEO of the company I’m closest to landing is also on the Board of Directors of the biotech organization in Austin where he offered to help hook me up once our own business is completed. I am also considering working with a national security company on a contingency fee now that I understand the legalities. If they did get a contract, that would be an influx of cash for a down payment but since this is not a definite, I will not count on it. This is the current professional status which I will continue to grow. My old favorite, X, has come back on for a 2 month project with the potential for long term at a solid retainer amount. That gives me a bit of breathing space.
The rest is going to require not just the cost cutting measures already in place (plus remaining in my current cheap location) but a full press savings plan that rubs up against the border of being a miser. Let me explain some of the efforts in place and if you have any suggestions, please share.
No more additional magazines, which is a huge sacrifice although it sounds silly. I get tired of being intellectual all the time and Friday nights with the junk magazines has been a long time ritual of relaxation. It announces the weekend and sets the tone for recharging personal batteries. PEOPLE magazine is a weekly subscription which does not count and will continue. I worked up the cost of the other regulars and the savings would be over $700 for 21 months. This is the first time in decades that I do not have maid service. I hate it and wish this is something I could have. Actually, I could but need all pennies for the Goal. The math has a 21 month savings of $3,696 for bi-weekly cleanings. I’ll sacrifice in exchange for the extra dollars. Sigh.
I have a money jar where I cleaned out my purse of change. It held around $65. Youngest and I work at home so we don’t need fancy clothes, just enough clean, casual ones to rotate through the winter. I’ve lost enough weight to fit back into my skinny jeans so my wardrobe is already expanded. I have a couple of decent suits that would still do for business meetings. If you want a gift card, the money counting machine takes 0%. We went to Old Navy this week and used the weekly sales to leverage our cash (and put in few bucks of my budgeted “allowance”) and we both ended up with several long sleeved shirts, hooded sweat shirts and sweat pants. I can’t wait to locate the box of old work purses in the garage where I expect at least a hundred dollars in change.
No more trips to purchase movies. I’m Red Box’s best customer. I record shows and also use Hulu.
One of the most drastic changes is in grocery shopping. Youngest has a really minimal budget for food and I am so happy with the Austin Goal, that I’m willing to go further than I ever have in cutting costs. Two weeks ago I went to HT and spent $64 with $35 in savings. I’ve shopped in about every grocery store here and have become familiar with the prices. After deciding on the Goal, we now are (hanging my head in shame) Wal-mart Superstore shoppers. It has the lowest consistent prices and I even tried an off brand fiber bar (passable). We both freeze meat on sale. I found the other shoppers to be strange but very friendly. And of course, we are not eating out at restaurants. I may allow a treat or two but for the most part, we are home eaters.
We went to the NC Zoo last week which has an entrance fee. To be allowed to still do fun things, we just find the least expensive way to deal. I made PB&J sandwiches and we brought water from home. Yes, we got busted (the brochure does not mention prohibition and we saw many others picnicking) but with a smile and we happily finished our meal.
Rather than drive 10.5 hours round trip and spend the gas to go get my hair done up north with K, I have visited salons around town with my freshly colored hair to show them how I want to look. I have a potential replacement colorist and will try her next time. The cost is less than half and the commute is only 15 minutes. No more pedicures, not even the cheap kind where there is no English spoken. The savings at one pedicure a month will bring in another $735 by move time. It all adds up.
Still, the expenses of a long-distance move, a big enough down payment as a self-employed person seeking a mortgage, and the ability to afford that downtown house, are enormous. I will need to both aggressively cut costs and increase revenue to make this happen. All worth it. Twenty-one months and counting…
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WOW! Nice work. Starbucks will be on me when I visit in October. :) I guess that's just for me and Mackenzie - I will treat you to a magazine. Congrats on your discipline. It's tough but it will be worth it in the end.
ReplyDelete