Thursday, September 17, 2009

Temptation and Splurge

I didn’t understand until recently how much I depended on, and took for granted, the opportunities and daily interests of my former life in R-Town. While the pace is slower down here and I miss the everyday intellectual stimulation, there are many new pleasures in Hootersville. We’ve begun hiking which Silly absolutely loves. There is a hiking area within minutes of my house, and if it weren’t raining everyday this week, that would be a morning activity. I did fall once with only a skinned knee and a brief panic attack as the outcomes.

But it wasn’t until travel to a bigger city, let’s call it Mayberry, that the loss of civilization smacked me in the face, full force.

I got in and out of an old favorite store without a personal purchase but not without moaning, gnashing of teeth, lots of touching and one try on. I just couldn’t even imagine entering another favorite store, and there were plenty. With the new frugal times and other goals, I am not allowed to spend money on clothes while I still own LOTS of serviceable ones. Only the missing snuggly winter clothes needed are an option and to be paid out of my money jar of extra change.

But there was, admittedly, a splurge that day. Youngest and I were starving and PF Chang’s was there. We decided that we deserved lunch but even then, we ordered off the luncheon specials (cheapest option) and Youngest got two meals out of it. I used to spend that much on a lunch alone at Olives and think nothing of it. Anyway, I gave a first lesson on using chop sticks and Youngest is a natural (after the initial protest and exclaimed desire for forks). Now we won’t eat out again for a few weeks.

Temptations are rare in Hootersville but they lurk everywhere in Mayberry. I will need to limit my exposure. Sigh.

1 comment: