This is a blue collar or no collar area where generations have worked in manufacturing (or in the fields) – jobs that have been in serious decline for some time. With the general cost of living low, utlize a little creativity you can live here for even cheaper yet.
This is the land of outlet and discount shopping. While there are some low end department stores (Sears and Penny’s) and the ubiquitous WalMart, there are loads of places to cut prices even cheaper. Already famous for discount furniture shopping, if you get off the beaten path, you won’t pay full price for very many items. Case in point, the recent book sale that Youngest and I attended.
There was a day, not so long ago, where I wouldn’t have even noticed the signs along the road, much less have been willing to explore the destination. Now that this is a VERY frugal household, anything goes. I was expecting the handwritten signs to direct us to some church basement where used books would attract only Youngest (we all know how I feel about those). Instead, we were shocked to drive up to a private home with multiple out buildings, each holding a treasure trove of new books. It was like landing in a jack pot. The owners have a twice yearly sale with quite the local following and each of the 3 days of the sale had a different genre of books at half price. We each purchased boxes of books for very little cash. With my normal book budget slashed, I could spend the cost of 1 full price novel at B&N and end up with 36 books. They range from hard core science, crime, cookbooks to a large section of mystery. With most priced around a dollar and the half price super sale on male mysteries, many of these cost only 50 cents. Amazing! They are stacked on the very top shelf of my library to be read before the next sale in 6 months.
Want to sew? There is a fine fabric discount house minutes away where everything is at least 50% off. There are outlets hidden off the beaten path that sell shoes direct from the company to wholesale lamps. I know every area has some outlets, but this must be the capitol. You have to weed out the lower quality in some places, but a brand new book is a brand new book anywhere. The Farmer’s Market was chock full of great deals with my favorite being the mammoth cinnamon roll (plate sized) for only $2.50. How much is a less satisfying Cinnabon?
I’m grateful for many things but if I have to live frugally, it’s nice to do so where you don’t totally lose the quality of life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The backyard book sale is my new happy place. It was awesome!
ReplyDelete