This week’s cooking adventure was all about vegetables. In fact, lately, all my eating/cooking is all about vegetables. I have to force feed myself fruits which is counterintuitive considering my all consuming love of sugar. Youngest Daughter suggests that for true sugar addicts, fruit is a poor substitute and I have to agree.
Friday night was a no cook night, reserved, as always, for sleeping. I usually crash shortly after the last conference call of the day and basically sleep until Saturday.
Anyway, Saturday was a day for working out, cooking, eating and reading. It’s been way to long since I have been able to enjoy such a day. Sweet potato chips made with my new mandolin (previously only associated with Oldest Daughter’s missing body part). Just the right thickness but I forgot to presoak so while delicious hot, not too great on the leftovers (soggy). Then a roasted vegetable tart – Roma tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, garlic, low-fat ricotta topped with black olives - baked with fresh pizza dough with the edges overlapped. Excellent and worth the effort.
Tonight’s squash casserole (again with the new toy) was not impressive and not likely to be repeated. The low fat sour cream didn’t help bind the shredded carrots with the yellow squash and onion. Even flavored croutons and melted butter on top did nothing to move this into “favorites”.
This latest venture into cooking is lots of fun. I'm taking leftovers to work tomorrow. I’d have to say leftovers is the down fall only that meals are meant for many and I’m just one. The Chicken Mole made for 4 lasted way past the time when I got tired of it.
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment