Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ode to R-town #1

Right now I’m sitting on my back deck in R-town and loving the hell out of it. The most bittersweet and difficult part of my new journey will be leaving this place where I have lived for many years - this place is truly my home in every sense.

Just from the deck I can see (and hear) golfers, see through the canopy of forest to watch the parade going by on the portion of R-town’s multiple mile paved trail system. The trail is very important not just for exercise but as a mode of travel. R-town was designed with a shopping center no more than a mile and a half from each home. Residents use the trails to get to work, ride bikes, walk dogs, run and exercise. They are plowed before the roads. This morning I ran all around the area and it’s just too beautiful for words. At one point I stopped to watch a family of deer watching me. It’s a good surface to run on – asphalt, mostly covered by trees and lots of varied terrain. And all I have to do is step outside my door and get going. The trail goes under most roads for safety and if you ever get lost, just pop up to the roads to get your bearings. There are small play sets set in amongst the scenery. There are benches and picnic tables strewn throughout and they usually have people there eating, playing, canoodling, and enjoying living here. Some seating arrangements are by the lakes and others hidden in the deep woods.

The W&OD trail cuts through parts of R-town so serious cyclists can ride with speed from the Blue Ridge Mountains to DC. While preparing for marathons, halfs and triathlons, I have worn out many a shoe on both trail systems. You can run just about anywhere but the landscape and culture here make it one in a million. I’m already in mourning.

No comments:

Post a Comment