Sunday, July 5, 2009

Data Dump

Oldest has made a few mentions about my lack of blogging and normally I would agree – hate the exceptionally long time between new entries on Son’s blog. But I have just made a major life change including resigning a great job, starting 2 new companies, moving to not only another state but a whole new Southern culture, returning to DC to close out old business and finally trying to unpack and make this place into a home. I hereby formally request forgiveness.
So much has happened that it’s not worth the effort to spend much time on recapping the past few weeks so here are some highlights and then we can move on:

· Packing the house was a bigger endeavor than anticipated. Instead of lamenting, Youngest and I lived on coffee, sugar, adrenaline, and the very last night we just stayed up all night packing with about 3 minutes to spare before the trucks arrived. I snoozed on the deck while the movers loaded.

· After months of angst about moving Beef (both the physical challenge and his potential depression with the change of routine, etc.), he trotted into the vehicle across the sagging ramp I hand-made following bits of bagel and then rushed down the more angled ramp as soon as I opened the door in at the new place. He loves it here in large part because I’m here more often than not. The lack of steps in and out are a bonus. He’s practically giddy.

· Frogs are everywhere. I can hear the bullfrogs singing bass in the pond across the street. There are teeny, tiny tree frogs that sing soprano.

· The first night camping on the floor was pretty rough. I stayed downstairs with Beef but couldn’t sleep on the air mattress. I was all “WTF have I done? What was I thinking? I hate this house, I hate Hootersville, I miss my old life”. Then I made the grave mistake of reading a book recommended by DIL but not the best read under this circumstance – The Art of Racing in the Rain. Yikes! I spent the remainder of the night crying.

· Next morning with puffy eyes, I asked Youngest to start a list of things we love here to get me out of regret and back into optimism. She put the first item down herself – “Youngest has a friend here in law school” which made me laugh with humor and gratitude. Other items include the hammock, Biscuitville, lawn service so we don’t mow and the gas fireplace. There are many other items but just making the list gave me a positive attitude adjustment.

· There is a dumpy diner near the entrance of the housing development. Youngest calls it The Shack. I call it Lucille’s after the bartender who has worked there for over 50 years (she’s 78). Back in the day it was a jumping joint with a line to pay a cover charge. Elvis was there and has a booth in Memorial. The drink menu is full of old fashioned options like Singapore Sling, Pink Squirrel, Grasshopper and others in the same genre. Good greasy cheeseburgers and the Regulars are fun. If Lucille is busy, one of the Boys will step behind the bar to help himself and write down the fresh beer on his ticket.

· Enjoyed a nice send off party from former firm. Sat next to CEO who left the door open for a return engagement with even better options. Relief and joy.

· We have a neighborhood “watcher” who knows everyone and is not afraid to make judgments or gossip. He is also full of fun unsolicited advice. But as a friend of the owner, he’s an asset so I hold my tongue and Youngest actually enjoys him.

· Expected an emotional response when retrieving my bike and other goods left behind in the old R-town house that I loved so much. Instead, the new renter does not like the house and his furniture is ugly. It didn’t feel like someone else in my house but like a different home all together. I couldn’t wait to get out of there.

· Stomach started to clinch up during the return drive to DC and the heinous traffic. Tummy relaxed on the return trip. We’ve decided to refer to R-town as “Up North” and Hootersville as “Home”. It’s amazing how quickly we adjusted and how much I already love my new life.

Now moving forward.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear Beef is doing well there!
    And yes, Racing in the Rain is a hard read, esp. with our dogs in the stage of life they are. The way I look at it is that only a really good book can make you cry that much. I did the exact same thing at the beginning and the end.
    And for some reason your description of the diner reminded me of Jack Rabbit Slim's from Pulp Fiction, except without the cars. :) I can't wait to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgiven. Thank goodness, I checked today and have two new posts to read. WOO HOO! What a great surprise - thanks for the procrastination opportunity. I am glad you are enjoying your new home. Flights to and from CVG and Greensboro were under $200 the last time I checked, so it might be nice to fly out there for a weekend before football season starts. :)

    ReplyDelete