Sunday, September 6, 2009

Take the last train to Clarksville

This is part one in a series discussing major life changes.

With the change in NewCo, I will have less money to make the transition to Austin but more freedom to make the leap. I can be a consultant from anywhere I wish and I wish Austin.

Dreams of high rises in the city are no longer realistic where I wouldn’t be able to afford enough bedrooms. And I’m not so sure that’s the right lifestyle for me any way - I’ve always wanted a yard. So how do I move to Austin where I can retire in place, still live near city action, be a real part of Jellybean’s life, enjoy my family and all the weirdness that the city celebrates?

I had heard that the East side is undergoing revitalization and started to research but didn’t like what I saw. The crime rate is unacceptable and the gentrification there is a series of cookie cutter houses for young families. And it appears too far from the downtown fun. The Travis lake area looks interesting but back to the desire to live there long after the car keys are put away. After a far amount of research, I contacted two different local agents. One did not take time to understand my lifestyle and home requirements. He forwarded me 143 listings from all over the city – seems he’s running a numbers marketing game. The other spent quite a bit of time on the phone explaining the different sections of the city, mortgage requirements for the self-employed and other important points. After a long discussion, he introduced me to the Clarksville area of downtown Austin. It’s a charming enclave near the parks, bike lane to the lake, is full of unique and quirky houses, is chock full of mature trees and walking distance to Whole Foods. Jackpot! He sent me 5 listings, one that wouldn’t work, one that is perfect (except for the timing) and 3 others that I could live in. He gets me.

Because I will need a decent down payment and will have higher requirements for a mortgage as a consultant, I need to stay in Hootersville for 2 full years to show a pattern of income. If for some reason I get hired by a firm or a client, I will only need one month of income and a letter of intent for continued employment – a scenario that I cannot guarantee. I have rented this house for a year and will have to renew for one additional year. With the low cost of living and increased work with a frugal lifestyle, I will still have to focus. I will move to Clarksville in 21 months.

Next installment covers another major decision and the third will deal with how to make this all happen. I’m very excited about where my heart is taking me.

1 comment:

  1. Yea for you! Now you have a goal (and timeline) to get you motivated. That's awesome. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete