
Another week, another massive weight gain (4 pounds), more Field Trips and continued a week of comments on Knuckles clown shoe feet. During our travels yesterday, we stopped at the independent pet store to socialize and pick up bedding for the pigs. We spoke to about 20 people and every one mentioned his feet. Knuckles received treats from the workers, so of course he loves it there. We don’t usually go there on Saturdays but I guess that will now be our target date – so many of the workers want to watch him grow.
We also had our first negative reaction when we visited the Carousel Park. It’s a great socialization location because there are lots of trails, bridges, picnic areas and it abuts a busy street. There is a large play ground where we sit at the end of our exploring time to watch the kids and hope that someone stops to say hello. The highlight was a mother that let Knuckles approach her baby in a stroller. He would point his finger at the doggy, Knuckles would lick his finger and the baby would throw back his head and really chortle with glee. They played that game for a while and the kid did his doggy sound – woof, woof. Another father asked if his son could pet Knuckles and the answer is always “Yes”. But as we were circling around the playground on the way to the car, a little girl, I’m guessing around 3, comes running after us asking to pet my doggy. She was alone and I didn’t see a parent. I can’t touch someone else’s child, not even to stop them petting Knuckles, although I did pull him close to me. He knows how to deal with children so he sat down. I looked around and told her to ask her Mommy, but by this time the girl already had her arms around Knuckles’ neck and he was kissing her neck and face. Unfortunately, not everyone loves dogs and some especially don’t like German Shepherds and this was the case here. The mom came screaming over yelling No, No, No! She picked up her girl and ran like the devil was chasing her. Poor Knuckles – he was just being a good boy. He watched the scene unfold with his head tipped and one ear up. He whined as the girl was carried away.
We now play fetch on a regular basis and he releases the ball with no problem. After a few times, it usually triggers his mad dash around the house. He cracks me up. Knuckles can still fit behind the couch although it’s becoming a tighter fit.
Knuckles is in the teething stage and used to think of me as one giant chew toy. He has learned that this is not acceptable although each morning we go through the ritual of checking to make sure I’m still off limits. He tries a couple times (finds my calves to be especially tasty). I think he pulls a doggy joke on me afterwards – he will open his mouth wide and just hold it open over my ankle and then look at me. He has a doggy sense of humor!
Early this morning we went to the new bakery. We wandered up and around because the cinnamon rolls were not ready yet. It gave Knuckles a chance to learn yet another shopping center. He’s allowed in the “Going Postal” store there. Knuckles waited in the car while I picked up a fresh from the oven roll and hazel-nut coffee mixed with hot chocolate and topped with whipped cream. Yum. The owner/baker (Trinity) has a 3 year old GSD that protects their 5 year old son. When the father wrestles with the son, their dog tries to separate them. It’s always fun to talk with another GSD lover. Then we returned home where I relaxed on the couch with the TV on. Knuckles napped on my feet while I ate, watched the fire, smelled the rich aroma of the drink and felt grateful for the good morning.
We also had our first negative reaction when we visited the Carousel Park. It’s a great socialization location because there are lots of trails, bridges, picnic areas and it abuts a busy street. There is a large play ground where we sit at the end of our exploring time to watch the kids and hope that someone stops to say hello. The highlight was a mother that let Knuckles approach her baby in a stroller. He would point his finger at the doggy, Knuckles would lick his finger and the baby would throw back his head and really chortle with glee. They played that game for a while and the kid did his doggy sound – woof, woof. Another father asked if his son could pet Knuckles and the answer is always “Yes”. But as we were circling around the playground on the way to the car, a little girl, I’m guessing around 3, comes running after us asking to pet my doggy. She was alone and I didn’t see a parent. I can’t touch someone else’s child, not even to stop them petting Knuckles, although I did pull him close to me. He knows how to deal with children so he sat down. I looked around and told her to ask her Mommy, but by this time the girl already had her arms around Knuckles’ neck and he was kissing her neck and face. Unfortunately, not everyone loves dogs and some especially don’t like German Shepherds and this was the case here. The mom came screaming over yelling No, No, No! She picked up her girl and ran like the devil was chasing her. Poor Knuckles – he was just being a good boy. He watched the scene unfold with his head tipped and one ear up. He whined as the girl was carried away.
We now play fetch on a regular basis and he releases the ball with no problem. After a few times, it usually triggers his mad dash around the house. He cracks me up. Knuckles can still fit behind the couch although it’s becoming a tighter fit.
Knuckles is in the teething stage and used to think of me as one giant chew toy. He has learned that this is not acceptable although each morning we go through the ritual of checking to make sure I’m still off limits. He tries a couple times (finds my calves to be especially tasty). I think he pulls a doggy joke on me afterwards – he will open his mouth wide and just hold it open over my ankle and then look at me. He has a doggy sense of humor!
Early this morning we went to the new bakery. We wandered up and around because the cinnamon rolls were not ready yet. It gave Knuckles a chance to learn yet another shopping center. He’s allowed in the “Going Postal” store there. Knuckles waited in the car while I picked up a fresh from the oven roll and hazel-nut coffee mixed with hot chocolate and topped with whipped cream. Yum. The owner/baker (Trinity) has a 3 year old GSD that protects their 5 year old son. When the father wrestles with the son, their dog tries to separate them. It’s always fun to talk with another GSD lover. Then we returned home where I relaxed on the couch with the TV on. Knuckles napped on my feet while I ate, watched the fire, smelled the rich aroma of the drink and felt grateful for the good morning.
I'm happy to see some picture of Knuckles making their way to the site. It'll be fun to watch his growth. What's his actual weight right now?
ReplyDeleteI am jealous of your fresh from the oven rolls. Just not jealous enough to wake up early on the weekend to go with you! Glad Knuckles is doing great with his socialization.
ReplyDeleteSome parents are crazy. If you really care, keep a better eye on your child. Geez. Good for socialization, Knuckles!
ReplyDeleteKnuckles weighed 35.2# last Thursday. We'll see what this week's amount will be. Any bets?
ReplyDelete40.1 #
ReplyDelete