Another week and another growth spurt. He seems to be gaining about 3 pounds each week. Thursday weight = 31.2#. When we visited the vet to use their scale, he blithely went with a tech not even looking behind to see me. Unlike with Beef, I want to keep the vet office as a happy place with no histrionics. So far, so good.
Knuckles attended his first training class and we were the stars of the show for the first 45 minutes. He had already learned the basics and the instructor used our team as a positive example of how I get his attention first before requesting an action. We’re supposed to exercise our dogs before class but I must have gone overboard. With 15 minutes left, Knuckles lost it. He just wanted to sleep or chew his leash which got the teacher’s attention right quick. Mary grabbed Knuckles and addressed the issue in front of everyone. She was very Alpha and got him to stop right away. Then when she brought him back, he whined to work with her more. Knuckles is like a big sponge and is happiest when training. That’s a great trait until evening when I want to sit and read or watch TV. He is the quintessential working dog – he’s very attentive while we go through our daily chores and loves the field trips. When nighttime drives him crazy with boredom, we often do a second trip so he’ll nap afterwards and leave me to rest.
I try to get in something new for him on most days. We’ve gone to the local Mall (it’s a shopping center, people – call it like it is) so he could get introduced to random people, hear car doors slamming, and generally learn to adapt to new situations. He loves field trips like these. We’ve gone to grocery store centers at night and climbed in between the cart lines, sat on a bench watching people going in and out. We’ve gone into the kiddy play area at the “Outdoor Mall” and met children. Yesterday I was on my way to a kid’s park with a huge play area. Youngest called so I turned around to get her and Silly too. It turned our trip from a training session into just for fun. We are looking forward to February when the hiking park re-opens.
Speaking of the dynamic duo, they have become best buddies – Knuckles worships Silly. Sometimes we walk them partway home and he will cry until he can’t see her anymore. I’m relieved. Their first couple of days wasn’t a love fest but they are tight now. They race around the house with Knuckles’ route going behind the couch. I’m waiting the day when he goes for the dash and gets stuck.
Knuckles ears are still a mix of up and down. It cracks me up when he holds one up, one down and then turns his head on an angle. This morning he's been holding the right up and the left down. It's quite a look. It often takes up to 8 months for them to remain up permanently.
Next week will be another adventure with Knuckles. Can’t wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment