While I didn’t want to bring in a new dog during Beef’s last year, I did begin researching breeds and breeders while back Up North. I wanted a larger breed dog, protective, intelligent, trainable, good with kids, loyal and also enjoys a long life span. After much deliberation, I decided upon the German Shepherd breed. As with all breeds, there are generalized traits and I admire the GS personality. Their intelligence makes them perfect as service dogs (Seeing Eye, etc) although they require lots of socialization and training. Since I work from home, I have the time to devote to bonding and teaching.
Knuckles came to his name via an episode of “Bones” when a character vowed, during a siege by a madman, that she would go home afterwards and hire a full-time body guard named Knuckles. Perfect! His vet thinks that GS are one of the best protective breeds because they bark – they want any bad guys to go away as much as the owner does. Other breeds, such as a Mastiff or Doberman, have innate attack reactions that are silent and give no heads up. I prefer a warning dog, so again, a great match.
Knuckles is a smart dog, maybe a little too smart for his britches. He likes to be mentally challenged which is an effort on a daily basis. Yesterday we worked on socialization by going to a shopping center and walking up and down until he settled. Each nice person we met is another positive interaction. Then we went into PetSmart where he was an angel. When we got home, he slept for a couple hours. Today we will go to the local, outdoor “mall” and practice in another, more crowded, location.
Some dogs love water and Knuckles is in that club. He drinks a lot of water and plays in his water dish. He drops his toys in the water. Soaked tennis balls do not bounce. During Knuckles’ first bath, he lay down and rolled around in it. I will need to get a kiddie pool for Knuckles this summer.
Silly is not too thrilled with the new edition. He was slow to get used to her and would rather snuggle than play. Also, Pretty Princess isn’t the only center of attention which she would prefer. Knuckles will act submissive to Silly with licks and exposing his belly, but he will also interrupt her water drinking so that he can have one too. Silly will just step back and get frustrated. Youngest and I have vowed to have them be friends but we all know from Max and Beef that you can’t force love. When Silly goes home at night, Knuckles acts relieved and starts to play with a vengeance. They are not at odds but they have yet to develop any true affection.
During his first vet visit, Knuckles was very cooperative. He is in good overall health. Although he comes from a breeder that focuses on service, therapy and agility dogs (his father made Nationals in Agility this year), which are usually smaller in stature, Knuckles is destined to be a Big Dog. In a breed known for their large feet, the vet used them to estimate his adult size to be over 100#. Knuckles feet are massive! The vet encouraged me to bring Knuckles each week to use their scale to watch him blossom and to also get more socialization. He weighed in at 25# upon delivery and 28.3# just 5 days later.
Raising Knuckles properly is going to be a lot of work but I’m thrilled to have the option. He’s going to be my training partner, family protector, extra ear and best buddy. He’s one hell of a dog.
NOTE: Lovely DIL sent me the directions to add photos to the blog but I am unable to locate following several full computer searches. Argh. I will mail you photos of our side by side feet individually. Sorry. I was excited to attempt my first blog photo. Damn.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment