Friday, January 1, 2010

Rest in Peace

Even after several weeks to mourn, I have been avoiding this post because it makes things so final. The Center of my Universe, Beef Noble, died in mid-November. He died in my arms and I remain grateful to God for making sure that I was home with him when he became ill.

Youngest came over and helped me to contact the Trauma Center and she also guided me in when the damn GPS died on the way. Both Beef and I were in shock and we needed a grown up to step in.

Knowing his advanced age and ailing health, I had been preparing myself for this moment for a couple of years but you are never really prepared. I wasn’t.

I have written this post in my head so many times, dreading the final chapter. I intended to remember all the funny things Beef did - how he hugged but didn’t lick, his former break dancing, how he would lay against the front wheel of my bike when I rode watching TV… it could go on for pages. But I can’t. I still cry when I suddenly think of him and the tears are streaming now.

Beef’s ashes are waiting for Spring when I return up North to scatter them over his favorite places. The remainder will move with me to the Forever Home so that part of him will always be with me.

How can you say good-bye to someone who was such a prominent piece of your life? You can’t but you can say see you again someday. When I get to Heaven, I hope to see Beef younger, darker, pain free and we'll be eager to give each other strong hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Even reading this post made me cry. Handsome bo-bandsome will be missed but he was a loved little guy and is in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... he was a great dog! Love him and am glad he's in a place he feels better now.

    ReplyDelete