Monday, March 8, 2010

Developing a Little Bit of a Life

The culture shock in moving to Hootersville was more than the slower pace of life but also the lack of intellectual stimulation, urbane lifestyle and friends. In trying to make this a stronger year, I have reconnected with several of my friends from the previous life and really enjoy our snappy conversations. I didn’t realize how much I require interaction with others after years of thinking of myself as a hermit. Up North I got plenty of intensity during the day so at night and on weekends, I liked to settle into my chair and enjoy my home and Beef’s quiet company.

My spirits are slowly lifting as I develop a social circle, such as it is, here in NoWhere, NC. While Knuckles develops relationships at the Dog Park (he definitely has his favorites), it just so happens that I like the owners of these same dogs. Some of us are in training classes together but there are enough outside that circle that Knuckles and I enjoy the park equally. When the owner friends are there at the same time, we sit together and chat. The owner of Knuckles’ special friend (a Weimaraner), works out of her home as a wine distributor.

In the quest to regain my “real” body back, I take Pilates Classes (Tower, Reformer, Cadillac and Chair) and have added on Pilates Ballet twice a week. Thursday is for Pilates Boot Camp which is my favorite. Many of the same women attend the same round of classes and we’re getting closer. This is not witty repartee’ but we do talk about our lives and work so there is some stimulation there.

I stopped by a running store in Mayberry (where most of my activities are held) and they have 2 different running groups. I rarely ran with the RATS but I’m trying to have an open mind. It’s free so if business dives down again, I will still be able to participate when other activities will have to be eliminated. I’m going to wait until the weather allows me to train some independently so I can actually keep up with the group. Knuckles enjoys our walk/runs so he can be my home training partner to prepare.

The most likely candidate for a play mate is my new colorist, P. He’s gay and full of fun and great stories. We enjoyed each other so much that we went out to eat after my first appointment. First I went to Texas, then was sick this last weekend, but I am going to call him today and see if he wants to get together sometime this week. He is the quintessential middle aged flamer who loves his Mother (oddly, she’s called the “Queen” in the family) and collects dolls. I met his mom who offered me her hand and asked if I’d like to kiss her ring. I replied “no, but I’d like to steal it”, which cracked us all up. I see potential here especially since we both live in Whitsett.

Don’t expect any romantic life to crank up. Even if I could find someone appropriate to date (not that I am looking in any way), I am going to move to Texas and it wouldn’t be fair. In this “no collar” area, how do you find someone that understands, much less endorses, that I’m learning 2 new languages in my 50’s?

1 comment:

  1. Yay for a social life! And I am jealous of all the Pilates classes.

    ReplyDelete